The Libertarian Party of Pennsylvania - Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the LPPa forum. 
Feel free to join the discussions.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Are Republicans also Social Conservatives  (Read 2015 times)
liberty_swag

Email
« on: September 12, 2011, 05:26:02 PM »

This isn't so much a question about the LP as it is about the RP, and perhaps it's implications for the LP. Aside from the fact that Republicans are no different than Democrats in contributing to policies that are primed towards debt-accumulation, imperialism, and partisanism, I'm wondering what separates Republicans from Libertarians other than their separate visions of what American's social landscape should be.

Why do Republicans, while fiscally conservative, obstinately cling to social conservatism? Is there some connection between the two that I'm missing here? What does financial deregulation and lower taxes have to do with the whole anti-choice, anti-LGBT, pro-Christian mentality that pervades Republican politics? Isn't this the reason that the tea-party, while borne of libertarian principles, became associated with and corrupted by the GOP?
Mik
LPPa Moderators

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »

The short answer is most republicans really don't believe in liberty or free markets, although they use a lot of the language. There are more extensive discussions of this under the Political Discussion board.

Zobaczymy, wszystko jest możliwe.
(We'll see, everything is possible.)
mkelley_25

Yes, that's me holding my wife's purse, LOL.

mkelley_25
Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »

Did you read Herman Cain's comments that stated something along the lines of, "what I do in the privacy of my home/office shouldn't be open for discussion in public"?
Mik
LPPa Moderators

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:13:30 PM »

I think that overall, the field of GOP contenders for the presidential nomination is appallingly bad. There are a few exceptions, though.

Zobaczymy, wszystko jest możliwe.
(We'll see, everything is possible.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: